Thursday 28 March 2024

On an act of love

Last Friday, I had left a message on the Mole’s answering machine asking him if he would kindly stay with me on my first night at home. Saturday night, he phoned back. I was a bit surprised by what he had to say. He did not think that me staying in my condo was a good idea. When he had seen me at the top of the stairs, he felt very worried for me. He was quite clear and insistent on this, even after I had said that I understood his concerns and would weigh them very carefully. As I was already tired from the day’s exertions, I didn’t want to discuss the matter further, let alone decide one way or the other. So I said that I understood him and that I took his firmness and determination to get his point across for the act of love that it was.


Since then, I have realized that I had been viewing next week’s trial homecoming as something of a rubber stamp formality. After much thought and discussion with the occupational therapist, I am thinking of it as an experiment and one which I will weigh the results of with lots of care.


Oh, yes. Just for the record the Mole was and is willing to spend the first night with me.