Thursday 26 September 2024

On some progress and strangeness

Earlier this week, my physio brought over a set of pedals meant to be hand cranking but usable by feet. He put it on the floor in front of me, and I fully pedaled for the first time in over a year. I came very close to crying for joy. I had a bit of trouble keeping my left foot properly on the pedal but it is still early days. My ability to ride a bike has long been a worry.

At the gym where I am currently getting my physio, I made a double take recently when out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a nun in a veil and a tight gym shirt approach the desk. In fact it was a young woman with very flat and long black hair with a white headband under it. I wonder what Naisi would do with the concept of a nun doing aerobics in a leotard and a veil.

I tested myself today by renting a car from my car sharing service. I used it to run some relatively minor errands in order to get a further feel for how comfortable I am driving. It was also an opportunity to practice my driving skills. I think I did quite well.

One of the errands involved going to Aubut, a grocery warehouse store. In the parking lot, I was surprised by the license plate of a red Volkswagen Golf station wagon. It was a custom plate which read "MEXIQUE". The surprising thing about that was the plate was from New Hampshire! Given that New Hampshire is a notoriously conservative state, why someone would have a license plate giving the French form of Mexico is somewhat perplexing, to say the least!

No comments: