Sunday 25 September 2022

On plans afoot

I am in Moncton and I have my first shower since Friday and I am feeling a lot better for it. 

I have also booked my return journey by train. Or should I say rebooked, as it involved cancelling my previously booked sleeper from Halifax to Montreal to a new one from Moncton to Montreal, only this one will be on Wednesday instead of Sunday. 

In theory, there was nothing preventing me from getting to Halifax in time for my original booking. However, given the amount of damage Fiona did, I’d rather not risk being a nuisance to the bluenosers’ restoration efforts. I saw enough damage on the way to Moncton to know that getting closer would not be a good idea.

There was one section of damage that proved rather irksome. Margaret, my coworker from Moncton, had told me I had to go see the Hopewell Rocks. So I tried to. After turning off the 114, I biked up a nice road to some gates manned by a group of people working for New Brunswick Provincial Parks saying that the Park was closed because they had to tidy up from the storm including sawing up various trees that had come down. They were very sorry but they would be open tomorrow. I suggested maybe a sign closer to the 114 would be a courtesy. As I rode on to Moncton, I pondered whether I should come back either Monday or Tuesday. However, the 38 km between the Hopewell Rocks proved to be annoyingly hilly and rather dull. Consequently, I have booked a car on Tuesday (when it should be sunny). This will also allow me to return to Alma and with a modicum of good luck, sample the highly recommended cinnamon buns that I missed because of Fiona.

No comments: