Wednesday 21 September 2022

On a surprising discovery courtesy of Lord Beaverbrook

Today was mostly spent doing touristy things in Fredericton. The only real thing of import was a surprising painting at the Lord Beaverbrook Art Gallery. In a gallery of Canadian art, I was astounded to see a painting that has to be of the North Hatley Club, circa 1951! It was painted by a John Goodwin Lyman (1886-1967) and entitled “The Yacht Club”. It was a gift of Lord Beaverbrook. It showed the front of the veranda of the senior lounge and an L shaped dock which I remember from photographs was taken apart in the early 1970s. The houses on the far side of the Lake where very much the type on the far side from the Club. There was the white flag staff showing the old Canadian Red Ensign at the gaff and an American flag in a lesser position. I know there was a Lyman family at the Club, viz Lyman Carter. I inquired how to find out more about the painting and will do so once I get back to Montreal. 


Conversely, I was mildly disappointed that the gallery didn’t have any art from Beaverbrook’s “court jester”, viz Gilles. ;-)


On another note, I am keeping an eye on tropical storm Fiona which may cross my path.

No comments: