Saturday 11 April 2020

On a riverside surprise

I took Victor von Fleddermoose out to Lachine this afternoon. I came back along the River. The weather was a bit grey and the trees were bare so it was a bit drab. However, at one point there were signs indicating a migratory bird sanctuary. There were the usual Canada geese cropping the grass. However, on the edge of a small flock of them, there was a snow goose!!!
I had seen snow geese flying on migration from time to time, but this was the first time I had seen one so close. I thought it was very neat. I am not sure if the location was normal for snow geese. However, snow geese have been known to get very lost, and Montreal isn't that far off the normal route for migrating snow geese.

Less agreeable was the fact that the pedestrian and bike bridge over the Lachine Canal at the Atwater Market is now closed on account of Covid-19. I am not surprised as the bridge is only about 3 m wide and gets a lot of traffic. The Charlebois Bridge a 100 m or so down the canal was closed to vehicular traffic to allow bikes and pedestrians to cross the Canal.

No comments: