Friday 5 June 2020

On how no good deed goes unpunished

I decided to buy a bike cargo trailer today. So after work, I unlocked Justin Thyme and walked down the street to a spot where there wasn't a parked car to put the bike on the road. Unfortunately something caught my eye: a TD debit card.

I tried phoning the number on the back, but the first thing I got was a recording saying that due to Covid-19 TD has cut its call centre staff and therefore wait times will be longer. I locked Justin to a railing and went inside to see if I could report the lost card from TD's website but I had insufficent luck or patience to find the appropriate bit of the website assuming it exists.

So I decided I would hand it into the police. There was a station not too far away from my home and almost on my way. So I rode off. Unfortunately, the bike bridge across the canal I wanted to use was unexpectedly closed for no apparent reason. This meant quite a detour. Then when I got to the station, it was technically closed due to Covid-19. I went inside the first door to see if there was a drop off slot. There wasn't, but then a voice came from an intercom telling me that the station was closed. I said: "Okay, but would please you tell me what I should do with this debit card I found?" Whereupon, I was buzzed in and the woman on the intercom came out and directed to a counter. She went behind it and accepted the card and a scrap of paper on which I had written where and when I had found it.

So I set off to the Angrignon Canadian Tire. There was no line up when I pulled up outside. However, as I locked the bike, a half dozen people who seemed somewhat clueless came up to the door and were directed to go in one at time by the guard. I waited behind them. I went in. For some "clever" reason, Canadian Tire seems to have decided that the best thing to do is to make the main aisles narrower by putting a lot things in the middle of the aisle. This made social distancing rather hard, especially as many of the other patrons seemed clueless about doing so.

I found what I wanted then headed for the cash.

There was a very long line up.

And the trailer wasn't pre-assembled.

And I had supper to organize, and people to meet on Zoom later that evening.

I returned the trailer to where I had found it and left. I was startled to see a very long line-up outside. My take was that I had arrived during the afternoon rush, which I would probably have avoided had I not seen the debit card!!!

2 comments:

Susan Gwyn said...

What's the bike cargo trailer for?

Bikemoose said...

Moving stuff around Montreal, including but not limited to boxes of books to and from the Library.