Sunday 11 August 2024

On the Cirque du Soleil and a rainbow

Yesterday, I went to the Cirque du Soleil's Kurios show down at the Old Port. Dominique had initiated the trip, partly because she had been initially led astray by an ad offering "cheap" tickets. Anyway, it was a gorgeous, sunny Saturday afternoon and there were a huge number of people in Old Montreal. This made it hard for my taxi to get near the Jacque-Cartier quay, so I had to hobble a fair distance to meet up with Dominique, Désirée and Philip.

It was an intense affair with lots of Broadway, Hollywood and acrobatics, i.e. it was le Cirque du Soleil. At one point I realized that I hadn't seen le Cirque du Soleil since its early days. I believe I saw it twice in the nineties in Sherbrooke when it was a touring production. The first time I saw it, it was with my (great) Aunt Lorna, meaning more than thirty years ago! The last circus I saw was a traditional traveling circus I coincided with in Michigan ten years ago.

One of the highlights was an act featuring a female acrobat on a bicycle which soon lifted into the air. She performed various tricks as it circled the stage. When she rolled onto the stage, I had noticed an odd pattern to the bike's spokes. I soon realized that there were three gaps in the spokes so she could grip the rims with her hands.

At another point, a pair of male and female acrobats climbed a tower above a mattress. He was rather burly. The act involved him slinging her around. I quipped to Philip that I was wondering if she was going throw him!

 Philip and I had chosen a nearby sushi restaurant the day before for supper after the show. I had booked a table and quite glad I was that I had. While the restaurant was empty when we arrived, it filled up very quickly. 

I was also glad that I had chosen to sit inside as a torrential downpour hit while we ate. It was followed by one of the most intense double rainbows I have ever seen. The violet band was especially bright. There was a bright zone next to it that I surmised might be ultraviolet light.



The restaurant had a very high (nearly a foot) step. So as I was leaving, I lowered myself slowly and carefully. An older Asian man offered to help. Philip politely informed him that I could do it by myself, I just needed time. 

I had been pondering where I might find a taxi when I saw one just leaving Place Jacques Cartier. As its windows were open, I yelled "Taxi!" and waved a crutch. It stopped, impressing Philip. The driver was very nice and offered the front seat to me. He also knew how to get to my section of my street despite the construction. This was a blessing as I was getting very tired. When I got home, I pretty much went straight to bed and fell asleep very quickly, despite it being well before my usual bedtime.

In other news, so far today, I have managed not to use my wheelchair! A small step in the right direction.

No comments: