Sunday 25 August 2024

On taking joy in small things

One of the ways I have to cope with life, particularly these days, is to take joy in small things. In the last week I have done this a number of times.

The first of which was when I was walking along St-Antoine Street to my breakfast place on Thursday morning. It is in the process of having its water and sewage pipes replaced. These roadworks are a royal pain when it comes to getting around via crutches and taxi. However, on that trip, I witnessed a twenty foot length of 2 foot diameter reinforced concrete sewer pipe being lifted by a crane. There were two workers adjusting the exact location of the sling on the pipe so that when lifted, the pipe would be balanced. It took them at least three tries before they were satisfied. When the pipe was lifted well balanced, one of the workers took out his measuring tape to see just how far along from one end the sling was. As there were two other pipes of the same lengths, I think he wanted a reference for them. At least, that is what I would have done. I will also observed that I had stopped my hobbling to watch the procedure, giving way to my inner child. This was particularly easy as my inner child has a fascination with heavy machinery.

On Thursday evening, I noticed that my crutches seem to slip too easily on my floor. I inspected them and found that the rubber tips were somewhat worn.

Consequently, after work on Friday, I went to medical supply store on Wellington Street. After getting replacement tips, I decided to explore Wellington Street which is currently pedestrian only during the summer. I found much to amuse me. One of these was a sign in a ice cream parlour where I had stopped for a milkshake. There was a sign listing the various flavours of dip for soft ice cream.
It was the last one that really threw me for a loop. "Mac and cheese". Just to be sure, I checked with the staff that I wasn't misreading the sign. They assured me it was so. I can't think why anyone would want such a flavour.

I was later struck by just how silly one of the requested behaviour signs on Wellington Street was.

Have they really had a problem with people diving onto the street, I ask you?

A little further along, there was a golden retriever being very sociable and friendly much to its owner's annoyance as she evidently wanted to keep walking. The golden wanted to lie on its back and be petted.


No comments: