Monday 19 August 2024

On a court appearance by the driver

I had been informed that the driver (may the fleas of a thousand camels infest his armpits) would be sentenced on October 4 on the charges to which he plead guilty in my case namely Dangerous operation of motor vehicle causing bodily harm and Failure to stop after accident causing bodily harm, under sections 320.13 (2) and 320.16 (2) of the Canadian Criminal Code. I won't be there as I will be in Vancouver, getting ready to celebrate Margo's life. I was discussing this with my co-worker Margaret who is from the area. She suggested I should look at the New Brunswick court dockets to see if they will give out the sentences. I glanced at them but as they only go to the end of August, I didn't give it much thought.

However, she looked them more carefully and noticed the name of the driver (may cockroaches spit on his shoes) was on the Provincial Court docket for tomorrow (August 20) for reasons described as "Other" regarding charges of sections 320.13 (1), 320.13 (2), 320.14 (1) (a), 320.16 (1), 320.16 (2) and 430 (4)(b) of the Criminal Code. 320.13 (1) and (320.16 (1) are Dangerous operation of motor vehicle and Failure to stop after accident in cases without bodily harm. 320.14 (1) (a) is operation of a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. 430 (4)(b) is Mischief causing less than five thousand dollars damage.

I am somewhat curious to know what the "other" charges represent. Are they related from September 2nd and other collisions he is alleged to have been involved with on that day or do they stem from another day's mayhem? If from September 2nd, then my thinking is that the 320.14 (1) (a) charge might relate to a later collision which happened closer in time to his arrest and therefore evidence of his intoxication level would be admissible in court for the later collision.

No comments: