Sunday 25 February 2024

On walking in the hall

During the weekends, I practice using the walker in the hall in front of my room. It has distanced signs giving it a length of 35 meters so a round trip is 70 meters. I had spoken about walking on the weekend to the Mole. Thinking I was doing this in the gym, he questioned me as to whether it was safe. I enlightened him including the fact that orderlies, nurses and doctors prowled the corridor. I then quipped: “In fact, if I am lucky, there will be orderlies en route to help me before I hit the floor should I fall!”


I mentioned the quip to the Physio last week. She said that I was wise and smart enough not to fall while using the walker. One of the ways I make it easier for me is to put my water bottle on a table at my end of the hall so I can drink during my walks without the hassle of carrying the bottle.


I rather pushed my limits today. I made 7 return trips to the end of the hall without sitting down for a total of at least 500 meters if you include the distance from my room and the hall which is more than 5 meters. I felt rather pleased with myself and said as much to my roommate Gilles.

No comments: