Thursday 29 February 2024

On a wind blowing me some good

On Tuesday I went to my optometrist for my yearly eye exam. We discussed the fact that I hadn’t worn my contact lenses since the collision. After my eyes were examined, the optometrist concluded that the absence of contact lenses had caused my eyes to change shape somewhat, but otherwise my eyes were in good shape. I showed my car bent reading glasses to him and he had someone straighten them in a matter of a few minutes. If I known that it would take so little time, I would have had them done earlier!


The optometrist shop was out on Ontario East Street. I had expected the adapted transport driver to take me back the same way as I had come. However, she drove South to Notre-Dame, then got on the Ville-Marie Expressway. I got a bit alarmed as we seemed to be going past the Glen super hospital and off to the West Island or beyond beyond we turned onto the Décarie Expressway and so back to the Lindsay.


I got back to find that despite my efforts to clear my schedule on Wednesday afternoon, I had been assigned a meeting with a psychiatrist at 2:30. I wasn’t at all clear on why this was.


It was only the next day with my meeting with the psychologist that it was explained to me. It seems that the consensus was that my mental health need more pharmaceutical help and the psychiatrist would be the one to assess and prescribe as needed. 


It did limit the amount of time I had with the Mole and Mummy for lunch. In hindsight, with the timing, the choice of a restaurant in the Alexi Nihon Plaza was a mistake as it took a bit too much travel and eating time. It was a good meal, however.  The Mole showed off his vegan wallet, i.e. it looked liked leather. I quipped that it meant that the wallet was made out of Naugahyde and did he know how many naugas had given their lives to make that wallet? Old and probably outdated joke.


Coming home, we went past the Montreal General Hospital. Someone, my Mother I think, quipped that I should be left at the door of Orthopedics until they tell me when my operation will be. I counter-quipped that it was a bad idea as they might feed me. I did not enjoy the food at the Montreal General.


The psychiatrist suggested a couple of changes to my medication schedule for reasons that made sense. I am not going into much detail aside from that I am going through a stressful period.


The weather changed radically overnight. It went from 13 above to 13 below, or thereabouts. It was blowing very hard around the time I turned my lights out. It made the windows rattle, so the point that one of them blew open!


The shortened expedition yesterday meant that I didn’t get around to mailing the Fredericton documents to the SAAQ or delivering work insurance documents to HR, not to mention some other bits of shopping I wanted to do. So after lunch, I took a taxi to work where I first delivered the documents and discussed the possibility of returning to work part-time. 

I then went over to the Library where I was very pleased to find that I had lucked out as my visit coincided with my co-worker Elisabeth’s visit with her nearly year-old daughter Gemma. Unfortunately, my picture doesn’t do Gemma justice as she is just absolutely adorable. She wasn’t sure about me, so I didn’t get to cuddle her, but it did my heart good just to see her. I caught up with colleagues, as well as mention the possibility of a part-time return to work. I am quietly pleased that some things DVD related have gotten behind in my absence.


I then went across the street to mail the Fredericton papers as well as do some minor shopping. Then I caught a taxi home.


There is the saying: “It’s an ill wind that blows no one good.” Well, I feel it applies as the change in schedule yesterday meant I got to see gorgeous Gemma today. She is a total cutie.


No comments: