Friday 17 November 2023

On a red letter day

Well, I went to the General today to see a Doctor Harvey. While the meeting took place in the Othopedics section, he must have been borrowed from another department for several reasons. The first is that he actually made an appearance and didn’t delegate the job to an acolyte. The second is that he was interested in the status of my soft tissues rather than my bones. The third reason is that he communicated.


Almost too much so, as I am a bit ambivalent though happy about the revelations. I am now cleared to put weight on my right leg and left arm. He prescribed me “Canadian crutches” for part of the relearning to walk process. He wants me to start using a proper wheelchair. He has put an end to me being given blood thinners and wants my leg wounds to be left undressed. He put an end to the “boot” on my left foot which had probably been a bad idea in the first place. I think there were some more changes made but I getting a bit overwhelmed and the conversation was a bit strange as it was in a combination of English and French, the latter being for the benefit of Alberto who is Colombian of Italian extraction.


Did I say overwhelmed? Yes, I did as I was also relieved that there was no attempt to remove my leg fixations “cold”, i.e. without drugs. It also interested me that one possible path to healing does not involve a slightly ghoulish operation I shudder to think about.


I am also a bit stunned after so much rather static time to have things move so quickly. I am also worried about how well Dr. Harvey’s instructions have been communicated to the CH Champlain.


So yes, a certain ambivalence and anxiety which given that it is me I am writing about, is to be expected.


One of the things I am looking forward to in the short term include that once I am settled into a proper wheelchair, I might be allowed to take Adapted Transport to go shopping.

1 comment:

Susan Gwyn said...

Oh, oh oh, how exciting! Can I take you shopping?!