Monday 11 December 2023

On a bounce, of sorts

I keep falling down, I keep on hitting the ground 
I always get up now, see what's next


Birds don't just fly, they fall down and get up

Nobody learns without gettin' it wrong


I won't give up, no, I won't give in

'Til I reach the end, and then I'll start again

No, I won't leave, I wanna try everything

I wanna try even though I could fail


From “Try everything” sung by Shakira


I came close to hitting the ground today. I was walking between two parallel bars when I put my right leg too far forwards and it bent too much. I didn’t have enough strength in it to straighten it so I began to sink towards the floor with increasing speed. I tried to control myself with my arms. Thankfully, the Physio was there and she pushed the wheelchair forward and pulled on the waist belt which was there for the purpose. I landed ungracefully but injury-free on the chair.


No harm done, and indeed, I feel I bounced emotionally as the song quoted above came into my head. It is from the movie Zootopia. That movie follows the adventures of young and enthusiastic female rabbit who joins a big city police force despite institutional prejudice against smaller animals in law enforcement. That might explain why there exists an organized crime syndicate run by arctic shrews.


I mentioned it to my psychologist this afternoon in a session in which he concentrated on the psychology of pain. He is either a fan of animated movies or a father as he knew the reference.


Admittedly, I’m not about to try everything right now. I am wiser than that. Pogo sticks are right out for the moment.

1 comment:

Hugh Gwyn said...

Poms!!! Where do all these associations of ideas come from ....... They are fantastic AND terrific!!!! Hugh