Sunday 10 December 2023

On an unexpected visitor

I was sitting in my wheelchair at a mobile table in my room this afternoon when I heard an orderly talking with someone at the entryway. She confirmed to him that it was my room. I looked up to see a largish masked man dressed in dark clothes approach me. I couldn’t for the life of me place him. He made things easy by saying he was Roland, my step-cousin. Then he opened his eyes wider and for some reason that made me recognize him.


Your last meeting was at the funeral of Donald, my uncle and his stepfather, in February 2013. (That’s a cheat because there’s a draft blog post about that event that I will neither publish nor destroy.) He had been sent by Suzanne, his mother, bearing two boxes of chocolate and one of Belgian chocolate cookies. We chatted and caught up on news. His daughter is now 20 and is at law school in Sherbrooke! His son is at Vanier. How time flies! I suggested that he put his daughter in contact with Mummy.


An unexpected treat.

No comments: