Tuesday 5 December 2023

On showing off in the gym

The Ergo arrived a bit late but nothing serious. As previously mentioned, my first question to her regarded the logistics of my lower left pant leg. Between us, we worked out that it could be rolled up and snapped. We then went down to the gym where she tinkered with the left leg rest. To honest, much of the session seems to have gone by in a blur.


It was then time for physio. One of the first things she had me do was to try to go around the gym as fast as possible. I had worked out that I was faster hand propelled than using my right foot to assist to I lifted it up forwards to be out of the way. Around the three quarters mark, I found my ability to keep it up flagging. To simply drop it down might have resulted in unnecessary hurting so I stopped to rethink my strategy and instead tucked my right back under the chair where it would easier to hold out of the way. The Physio asked why I had stopped and I explained. I added that while she had asked me to go fast, rehab as a whole was a marathon and taking the time to work out the issue was wisdom. She agreed.


After a second circuit of the room, she installed me on a machine she inaccurately described as a stationary bicycle. It was of the recumbent variety, but the label she applied confused me as I assumed the motion would be circular when in fact it was reciprocating, that is back and forth. She wanted to see how much my left leg could bend at the knee as well as if I could bend and unbend it repeatedly. I spent about 8 minutes doing that. Then there was some more range of motion exercises on a therapy bed.

The Mole arrived after lunch and we had a jolly confab. Steve joined in and away the conversation went. Eventually, I decided I wanted to show off to the Mole and steered the party to the gym, Steve also wanting to get in some more exercise time. In the process, the Mole met my physio and my doctor whom he thought well of. I did some “dull” lifting of dumbbells interspersed with circuits of the gym in the wheelchair. 

Earlier in the day, Steve told me that he will be returning to Mission on the 17th of December. This instantly had me mentally eyeing his room and assessing various strategies to get it.

3 comments:

Susan Gwyn said...

The left knee bends! That is exciting!!

Margo and Chris said...

You can do it
Yes you must
Get back on
That bike or bust!

Margo and Chris said...

In 2009 we were on the road in China and thought we'd never reach Europe. You wrote us a ditty: "You can do it, yes you can, soon you'll be in Kazakhstan." Now we have a ditty for you:

"You can do it, yes you must, get back on that bike or bust!"