Saturday 9 December 2023

On two steps forward, one step back

During physio on Friday morning, I lined up with the parallel bars, took hold of handholds and listened to the pain in my left leg. I didn’t go further and asked if we could do another exercise, please. So it was off to the therapy bed for a variety of things to do.


In the afternoon, I had a session with who I have been calling the Ergo as in “Ergothèrapistee”. I have been informed that the proper English translation is “Occupational Therapist”. Which only goes to show what false friends can be. The O.T. first tested the sensitivity of various bits of my left arm using a set of monofilaments. Later, she brought me up to me room for some training on how to navigate the bathroom. That day’s lesson was how to get on and off the commode. The first part went well. However, I made the “mistake” wanting to use the facility while I was there. This lead to some trouble with my undergarment. The net result was that it was mutually agreed that more work needed to be done before that is my standard way of doing business.


A friend of Steve’s arrived from B.C.. As he was an RCMP officer, I asked him if all RCMP collision reports included a “Moose involved” tick box. Apparently, they do. This afternoon, the two of them headed off to parts unknown, probably a wheelchair friendly pub.


The Mole arrived just after lunch and we went down to communal area downstairs with vending machines. I bought a soft drink, and Michael and I chatted at a window looking towards Laval. I spotted two male cardinals in some trees nearby. Unfortunately, the Mole’s eyes weren’t up to the task.

1 comment:

Margo and Chris said...

Aha! An occupational therapist! We have two tame ones, (I.e. We know them quite well.) They are very useful and practical people.