Monday 7 June 2010

On the advent of yet another helmet

I left the moose antlers on my helmet so I could show them off at work. Needless to say, they were quite a hit. One of my co-workers asked me if I could send her pictures so she could show her brother. I hurled her the URL of the Picasa shots.

Unfortunately, in the process of carefully donning the helmet today, I noticed that part of the helmet retention system of the helmet had broken. The proper fit of the helmet was only being assured by a piece of decaying rubber. From the maker's website, I found out that there is, in theory, a spare parts kit that could provide a replacement. In practice, none of the dealers with which I spoke to in Montreal had them or even had heard of them.

I had been having trouble getting a good fit for sometime, so I figured "what the hell", and went helmet shopping on way home from work. I ended up getting another helmet from the same maker, only this time, I choose something with a sturdier "retention system". To be honest, the new system is much easier to adjust than the old. I have some reservations about the helmet overall as it is lower down the scale than my previous one.
However, it is a more interesting colour, bright yellow rather than white. The man at the store said that the yellow helmets were selling well because of the visibility factor. I agreed as he was pretty much preaching to the choir on that point. In point of fact, while researching helmets on the web at lunchtime, I had decided that for this model, the yellow was the desirable colour. While it does come in what is described as "red", as you see, it is more white than red!
I have since retired my older helmet to display duty on the frame of the Castafiore.

No comments: