Sunday 31 May 2020

On a whale of a tail of a day

Today has seen three separate bike trips. The first was a "sweat ride" on the "usual loop", that is along the Lachine Canal to Lachine then back via River. I saw several families of Canada geese complete with goslings who didn't know better than to sit down on a bike path.

The second was an optimistic ride to Dieppe Park (near the Old Port) undertaken in the hopes of seeing the humpback whale which decided to visit Montreal. This is the first time such an event has happened in recorded history. The whale was apparently not in that bit of the St-Lawrence for the 10-15 minutes I was there. I don't entirely blame him or her as the current was substantial. From the "body language" of some boats further down the River the whale might have been off the Eastern end of Île Sainte-Hélène. However, it was further than I wanted to ride. Also, my sense of geography had incorrectly informed me that said area of Île Sainte-Hélène was occupied by La Ronde and hence or otherwise unaccessible.

On the way home, I stopped at the Verdun Canadian Tire to get new CO2 cannister for my SodaStream. While today was cold for May (the high was 12 degrees C), the previous week had been extremely hot with highs in the 30s! This resulted in a lot of soda water being drunk. I keep three bottles of the stuff in my fridge. I checked my contact diary just now, and it was little more than two weeks ago that I last bought a CO2 cannister.

Once the new CO2 cannister was installed, I set off to James' for my weekly social chat at 2m or more distance. Given the relatively cold weather, he joked that he should have given me a hot rum toddy instead of a beer as a social beverage.


No comments: