Tuesday 28 July 2020

On my troubled mind

For various reasons, I don’t think I am in very good shape both physically and mentally. The ramifications of social distancing have meant I don’t get the physical exercise and social contact work provided directly or indirectly. My personal demons and wretchedly hot and humid weather meant that I haven’t been riding any great distances this year before today.

This combined with Via Rail’s policy of requiring masks on trains led me to decide against biking to the Saguenay and taking the train back to Montreal. 9 or 11 hours of wearing a mask in a row doesn’t appeal. So instead, I will return from Quebec City on the South Shore by bike.

I set off this morning a little after 8 or so. I’d explored the route beforehand, so I had no trouble get to the bridge to Repentigny.

I had to lift Leonardo over a curb just behind two younger women doing the same. They were on “whee” bikes lightly loaded with one or two panniers. One of them asked me where I had started. I admitted Montreal. They had also started today and like me were headed to Quebec City. Unlike me, their destination for the day was Trois-Rivières. That was about 60 kms further than Berthierville where I planned to spend the night.

While they were on lighter and likely faster bikes, they were much more ambitious than me. This was a drop of acid on my mind.

It also may have affected my judgement in Repentigny. The Route Verte number 5 crosses the municipality using bike paths designed for getting around the neighbourhoods rather than for getting to Quebec City. I could tell this from the map. I also knew that such bike paths are not to be trusted on account of indifferent signage. I also knew that the fast way was to get on highway 138 and ignore the Route Verte. For various reasons that did not stand up to scrutiny, I chose to follow the Route Verte and consequently got lost at least three times. Given my good geographical sense, this was a serious blow to my ego.

The day was hot and humid with a generally cooperative tailwind. While the wind was appreciated, it did raise my worries about getting back to Montreal with it in my face. The heat and humidity were draining. Together with an unwise choice of lunch, I found myself stopping repeatedly for something cold to drink. One planned stop was at a winery to sample their wares.

I made Berthierville by mid-afternoon. I was very happy to discover an ice cream place offering soft serve raspberry sherbet. That went down a treat.

Berthierville’s most famous son was Gilles Villeneuve. I had seen signs for a museum in his honour. However, when I checked into my lodgings for the night I discovered I had ridden right past it without noticing it. I later took a closer look and it’s lot is dominated by a U-Haul dealership! As I got a free entry coupon with my room, I might well take a quick visit tomorrow morning.

Mileage for the day was a shade over a 100 kilometres.

3 comments:

candmwanderings.wordpress.com said...

Bonne continuation, comme ils nous disaient en France. The times have indeed been unsettling, but I know you’ll get into the flow of the ride.

Margo and Chris said...

Bonne continuation, comme on nous souhaitait souvent en France! I'm sure you and Leonardo will get into the groove in time. I'd love to do the St. Lawrence with Chris one day.

Susan Gwyn said...

Well, now I feel better, except that is a bit mean of me. We got lost three times in Répentigny too!!