Tuesday 27 September 2022

On the tidal bore

I started today’s touristing with a visit to the Acadian Museum. The first interesting thing, I came across was a picture of Antonine Maillet sharing a word with Herménégilde Chiasson. The Défi des Cantons went through St-Herménégilde this year so I know it is a name. However, I had assumed that loving, modern parents were beyond imposing such torture on their offspring. I was amused to read an explanation of the name of Acadia. Apparently, it had been dubbed “Arcadia” after a classical Greek place of bliss but the “r” fell out of usage, possibly because of poor spelling and possibly because “Acadia” was close to the First Nations names for the place. It was fairly interesting but I did have one question as I left: was Breton spoken in old Acadia?


I then had an interrupted visit to the Resurgo Museum. “Resurgo” is the motto of Moncton and thus you may deduce the subject of the museum. It was a bit simple for my tastes, aimed too much at children. It also didn’t explain Moncton’s missing letter. It used be spelt “Monckton” but lost the “k” at some point. 


The visit was interrupted because I left to witness the tidal bore progressing up the Petitcodiac River. At the advice of the lady at the Resurgo, I got there early. A bit too early, so I amused myself by sawing off the end of a tree that had fallen into the bike path on Saturday. A passerby said I should bill the City. The tidal bore arrived on schedule. It was very impressive, if rather muddy looking. It generated waves that of about 3 feet which is enough to surf on. Apparently, a few years back some surfers rode the wave for 29 kilometres! Worth the wait! The French term for a tidal bore sounds more interesting: “mascaret”.


After lunch, I went back to the Resurgo. There I listened to the Miꞌkmaq legend of the Eel and the Lobster. It seems a giant eel took to living in the River and eating all the fish. The fish were vexed by this and asked Glooscap for help. Glooscap couldn’t help directly but said if one of them were to step forward, he was give him the power to fight the Eel. After an awkward pause, little Lobster stepped forwards and was given extra fighting abilities. The Eel and the Lobster fought an epic and bloody battle. Lobster won the battle, driving Eel away but turned the waters of the Petitcodiac muddy and bloody. Eel’s blood stuck to Lobster’s skin and so a lobster’s shell turns red when cooked. The ghost of Eel haunts the Petitcodiac River, returning twice a day. Or something like that.


There was also an unsatisfying travelling exhibit about women during the World Wars. It was far to general and bland to be truly interesting. It did make me think of Aunt Lorna.


Afterwards, I did an “I-tour” of Downtown Moncton using my iPhone. It was not as interesting as I would have wished. It was all about architecture, mostly commercial.*


Tomorrow, I rent a car to return to the Hopewell Rocks and bloody well see them. When I get back to Moncton, it should be time to catch my train. *Touch wood*


What?… This is almost too rich! I just got an email from Via Rail that begins with “Important information” about my upcoming trip (paid for by Via Rail preference points). I will quote to you the important bits:


“We’re reaching out to inform you of a change regarding meal service on board train 15 of September 28th.


We were recently informed that the caterer providing meals served on-board the Ocean has been affected by the damages caused by hurricane Fiona, and that they will not be able to provide the meals we usually serve on this train.


Different meal options have been acquired for your trip. In light of this last-minute modification, VIA Rail would like to offer its passengers a refund valued at 10% of the fare paid for this portion of the trip. 


This refund will be processed in the next 10 days. No further action is required on your part.


We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

VIA Rail Canada”


I’d say I don’t know if I should laugh or cry, but I’m too busy laughing. ;-)  (No mention of lemon soaked paper napkins.) 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was the replacement food any good? Interesting post.