Tuesday 20 February 2024

On a few lesser items

The Mole has remarked a few times about the cleanliness of the Lindsay (as well as the Champlain). On Saturday, I chanced upon a sight that put the gloss on the shine as it were. I noticed a janitor (or whatever the appropriate term is) cleaning a “Warning Wet Floor” sign with several others either awaiting their turn or waiting to be put back into to service. I stopped to compliment her on her thoroughness as well as to offer a more general thanks for her service to the Institute.


In other news, Caroline left on Wednesday. She was only going to be here for a little while, but I am sad that she had gone.


I was off my stride doing laps of the gym this morning. I did 1 lap before realizing that I hadn’t taken my pain meds. I went back to my room to get them and to wait for them to take effect. When I came down, I was still off of my beat and only made it twice around the gym before I quit in a bit of a jelly. After lunch, I made another attempt. This time the equipment orderly, asked if I wanted to be accompanied. I said yes. We chatted about a number of things, including dangerous antipodal animals. She had been under the impression that there lots in New Zealand. I informed her that in my guidebook to New Zealand, it said the only dangerous land animal was a relatively rare spider. If it bites you, it recommended you seek medical attention after bragging about it to your mates at the pub. I did say that Australia did have more that its share of dangerous critters. I also explained my Australian snake decision matrix.

1 comment:

Susan Gwyn said...

Ann Macaulay was impressed by how clean the CHUS was. Then she realised that that was how a hospital should be. And the dirtiness of the Montreal hospitals she knew was what should surprise. I know I was shocked by how shabby the General was when my mother was there in 1995, but I excused it on the grounds that they were building the super hospital and the General would close. Then you were there in 2023 and it was still shabby and dirty.

Glad the Lindsay is clean!!