Thursday 6 March 2008

On visibility and grumbling about politicians

I had a weird experience the other day. I was asked when I was going to start biking again. That wasn't the weird bit. The weird bit was that the person asking me was a pharmacist who was refilling my prescription. I didn't think I was that memorable. After all the pharmacy in question was in a decent-sized, downtown shopping mall. On the other hand, come September I will have been living and biking in this part of Montreal for ten years.

In a previous post, I mentioned my antipathy towards the Bloc Québécois. My reasons were reinforced by a leaflet from them that I found in my mailbox this evening. It outlined the six priorities of the party. Number one was to bail out the forestry and manufacturing sectors (estimated cost $5.5 billion). Number six was to undertake a true 180 degree turn for the environment (estimated cost $1 billion). Evidently, they though the public's attention span was short enough that no one would notice that goals one and six were largely contradictory.

No comments: