Thursday 4 July 2019

On the benefits of a long-term relationship with your friendly local bikeshop

I take my bikes for servicing at Martin Swiss. As their website shows, they have been around for more than eighty years. I have been using them for about twenty years and the people there have got to know me, particularly Steve.

Last week, I took Floria die Fleddermoose in for some major servicing, including two new wheels, new brake-shifters and several other lesser bits and pieces. I picked her up after work this afternoon. Steve brought her out and I gave her a once over. There were a couple of things missing from the picture, namely wheel reflectors.

These are required by law in Quebec, especially at night. In addition, my readers will know that I believe in high visibility while biking. (Which is a bit ironic as I was watching Monty Python's "How not to be seen" sketch last night.)

I asked Steve if I could get some reflectors. He dug in a drawer to produce a nondescript, unlabelled set of reflectors. "Here, you can have them for free provided you install them yourself!" He said this with a grin as we had been discussing how busy the shop has been. Also, wheel reflectors are incredibly easy to install. The tricky bit is remembering to put them on the opposite side of the wheel from the valve.

2 comments:

Margo and Chris said...

What? No tires with reflective sidewalls?

Bikemoose said...

Actually, my tires do have reflective sidewalls. However, A. I hadn't re-read the regulations and B. reflectors attached to the spokes given wonderful directional cues to drivers.