Monday 25 September 2023

On being hit by a car

Saturday, September 2


I was biking South from Shediac to Moncton when a car hit me head on despite me being exactly where I should have been and in a bright red jersey. I landed in a field. The driver did not stop. Help arrived, in form of friendly New Brunswickers, a passer-by, the man whose land I was on, a local fire department member, an off-duty registered nurse (someone joked kindly and respectfully that there was no such thing), then RCMP and ambulance.


I went to the Moncton hospital. I was given something which put me out of reality and into an interesting dream. When I came to, someone said they knew I was out as I stopped talking continually. It has been decided that they needed a vascular surgeon for my left leg. Only one on duty that day was in Fredericton. So I was transferred by ambulance.


It was eight hours of surgery to rebuild my left leg, including a vein from my right. I spent Sunday in the recovery room before being transferred to a ward upstairs.


Extensive damage and breakage of my left leg

Broken left forearm

Damaged pelvis

Kidney damage

Assorted scrapes, bruises, etc.


Parents arrived Sunday. Staff wonderful at Fredericton. Father less so.


Saturday, September 9


Mummy arranges for an air ambulance to transport me to Montreal. Interesting to fly as the only passenger in a Learjet 35. The timing was wrong as Montreal General Hospital a bit disorganized on weekends. Monday morning probably better.

No comments: