Thursday 7 December 2023

On a small step

Yesterday, the Ergo had me doing some practical things in the bathroom. I asked if I might make it truly practical and try shaving at the sink. So we got my shaving kit out and away I went. What I remember most from yesterday’s physio is doing more standing which included leaning to my left in order to put more weight on my left leg. I ended up spending about 6 hours in the wheelchair in a row.


This morning featured a session of “poke and prod” ;-) with my various doctors, a nurse and my Physio. The latter mentioned that I was doing quite well but that I tired easily. I can’t argue with that. Actually, the physiotherapy and my “wheelchair” license have done wonders for my mental health. I noticed yesterday or the day before that I was much less stressed. It feels wonderful to be actually doing something.


During today’s physio session, I was asked to stand with the parallel bars. I was then asked to  move my left leg forwards, then my hands one by one, then lift my right foot ahead while suspending my weight with my arms. So I made one shuffling step forwards. Then another, and another. I had walked!


After some mobility exercises on a therapy bed, I gathered my things to head back to my room. Steve came into the gym asking what was new. I raised three fingers, then made a walking gesture with my hand. He was his usual enthusiastic self to the news.


Mummy came in the afternoon. She was also happy for me. She had brought some biking gloves from my condo. After some chitchat, I donned the gloves and showed off my prowess at transferring myself from bed to wheelchair. We went down to the gym where I made a display of “zooming” around the room. The Physio was there and I introduced her to Mummy. In hindsight, it felt a bit like a parent-teacher meeting!

1 comment:

Susan Gwyn said...

And I got to meet Steve from BC. He is in Montreal because the only doctor in Canada who does what he needed is here. Daniel is getting the best!