Friday 29 February 2008

On rails to trails and trails to rails

I e-mailed the organization behind the Newfoundland T'Railway about its current suitability for biking. Alas, it turns out that the information in the 2003 guide to it is still valid. More's the pity.

In other news, it seems that there will be a new edition of the Guide de la Route Verte will be published next month. I will need to check it out to see if it will be worth the $20 to buy it. If it is useful, I think I will mark my route in the old one (assuming no great change) and leave it with my parents so they can monitor my progress. I am toying with the idea of getting a second Atlantic Canada Backroad Atlas in order to do the same. At $10, the Backroad Atlas is a pretty good deal.

Finally, I read in the paper that there is a move afoot to start having trains run from Montreal to Sherbrooke again. Included in the article was the mention of having the train have facilities for cyclists!!! If it goes, I am so going to be a passenger on it. The only downside of the movement is that is seems to be led by a Bloc Québécois MP. That means he has relatively little political weight to put behind it. In addition, I am loath to support the BQ.

No comments: