Tuesday 21 August 2018

On frigates versus research vessels

Last night as I was entering the hotel restaurant where I had supper, I noticed a car with a odd looking license plate. On the left most side, highlighted in red where the letters “GBM”. Usually that spot indicates the country of origin. I took a second look and noticed that in finer print there was “Isle of Man” written. It was a Manx car! The owner happened by and noticed my curiosity. He was evidently used to people being interested in his number plate as he pointed out that the red surround was because the Isle of Man isn’t in the EU. EU countries would have a blue surround around the national letters. I must check with Mark what the abbreviation for Jersey is.

Today started misty and grey. Blessedly, there were fewer hills today and they were at the start of the day. As well, the NCN navigation was simpler. The first part of the day was dominated by country roads.

The bridge between Newport-on-Tay and Dundee was oddly laid out as the biking and walking path was between the lanes of traffic! On the Newport end, access was by a ramp. At the Dundee end there were stairs and an elevator. I had lunch at the cafĂ© serving a museum about RRS (Royal Research Ship) Discovery which was docked next to it. RRS Discovery was involved in South Polar exploration. I didn’t go in as I wanted spend my time on HMS Unicorn.

The latter was a frigate built on spec after the Napoleonic Wars. It was never commissioned but lay in ordinary (storage) in the hopes of a war. It was used until 1962 in variations on the theme of accommodation and training ship. For a while it was renamed HMS Crecy to release the name for an aircraft carrier. When the carrier was retired at the end of the 1950s, the name was given back. As well, the carrier’s bell and battle honours were transferred to the frigate. It was interesting to see a ship more or less out of Patrick O’Brien in the flesh. It also reinforced my gratitude at not being forced to serve on such ship. There wasn’t a proper deck on which I could walk upright. I found the orlop deck a particular challenge to navigate, bent double the whole time.

From Dundee, the NCN took me along the seashore for the most part. One bit that wasn’t along shore was a section wedged between an active railway and an active Ministry of Defence firing range. The active part of the latter was indicated by red flags. I am in Arbroath tonight. I had a disappointing smokie for supper followed by a very good cloutie dumpling.

No comments: