Monday 13 August 2018

On the train to Durham

My slumber was again disturbed by snores. This time from Americans from Michigan. I hope this doesn’t mark the start of a trend.

I had been warned to be at least ten minutes early for the train in order to stow the bike. However, the departure board didn’t let me know which platform the train was leaving from until 9 minutes before departure! Then it turned out that the bike was to go at the end of the train my seat was at the front. I will have to migrate back nearing Durham.

My plan was to get breakfast on the train. Unfortunately, owing to a mix-up, catering services are not available on this train! Furthermore, all my food is on the bike. Brunch in Durham, I guess.

I had been offered to bid on an upgrade to first class by LNER. I declined to do so. However, the lack of knee room makes me question that wisdom.

At a guess, in the first twenty minutes the train passed through a greater distance of tunnels than the Canadian does in four days!

No comments: