Saturday 6 April 2024

On the consequences of the operation

I would like to apologize to my readers for the lack of posts, but things have gone unfortunately. For reasons I am unable to easily write about, the operation I had longed for was not the one I had. Rather than something final, it came down to removing the external fixations and replacing them with a Taylor spatial frame which seems more cumbersome.


I have been told by several independent sources that the doctor I had is absolutely top notch. He has a signature of drawing smiley faces on his patients. The nursing staff on the whole seem better than on the floor I was on.


However, I think they should have handled my meds better. I was kept off my antidepressants for two days. Together with post-operative pain, I’ve cried a lot for next to no reason. It was well after midnight when I finally fell asleep last night. Unfortunately, my slumber was dominated by a recurrent nightmare. I finally got my antidepressant this morning by begging a nurse with tears in my eyes. I have been through a lot of physical and psychological pain, in the last couple of days, and even before the operation, an anesthetist commented I had PTSD.

1 comment:

Susan Gwyn said...

If only they told you more!
But they obviously are taking a lot of trouble to make you 100 %.