Monday 29 April 2024

On sleep and dreams

I should have written earlier, but I’ve been more than a little tired. First because of insomnia, partly caused by the disruption to the sleep cycle caused by the lengthy antibiotic administrations and partly due to the relative stress of being at the Montreal General. Even after the change to only two doses of antibiotic per day, I was hardly sleeping. Friday night, I eventually asked for a stronger sleeping pill which improved things a lot.


On Thursday, Alice and I went to see Ghostbusters : Frozen Empire. That was a lot of fun, even though Alice hadn’t seen Ghostbusters : Afterlife. I’d thought of going to the Condo with Alice on Friday. I had even discussed it with my friendly taxi driver. However, my near complete lack of sleep on Thursday night meant that I hadn’t the energy to do something so active. Instead, Alice and I bathed in the sun outside the General.

The weekend can best be described as boring. As in the highlight of the weekend was walking with crutches two double lengths of the floor. During one jaunt on crutches, I was greeted by an orderly or nurse who remembered me from September and who was very pleased to see me on my feet again. That was very nice. I compounded my feeling of improvement by mentioning to her that there was an old woman in a wheelchair in the hall who was quietly saying she was cold to no one in particular.


I still don’t know if I am going back to the Lindsay today. Someone said that my antibiotic levels are good, but then there was some confusion as to exactly when someone drew a blood sample on the weekend. I am also somewhat tired of this nonsensical confusion about the antibiotics as well as the lengthy process of administering them. I’d love to just try to snooze through the process. Unfortunately, more often than not, the machine makes a jarring bleep to warn of air bubbles in the tube. Several people have told me that the antibiotic, Vancomycin, has a tendency to cause bubbles on its own.


I am feeling that I am getting better and that I might well progress to more advanced ways of using the crutches to walk once I return to the Lindsay. This optimism is countered by the frustration of being wheelchair bound. Concurrent with that is the fear that I will be permanently stuck with chair.


I sometimes try to relieve the negativity by dreaming up short-term or long-term vacation ideas. I know the first trip I will take once I am able will be to go to Vancouver to see Margo. Going to Sioux Lookout would be next. A more exotic trip idea would be to fly Emirates to Dubai from Toronto so as to go in an Airbus 380. 


Closer to home, I’d love to hire a light plane with pilot at St-Hubert Airport and do a sightseeing trip to North Hatley and back. A brief Google search told me that it is not only possible but might also include me piloting the aircraft at times. That would make my bucket list, though only after I make a significant recovery of my left foot. I discussed this with Alice on Friday. She asked if I would like to do something like that in Sioux Lookout, as she is familiar with the significant local bush flying community. I said that I could relate to that but what would be more fascinating would be to see the familiar landscapes around North Hatley from the air.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’ll wave from the ground, and hold the bags!