Tuesday 2 April 2024

On returning to North Hatley

I better start writing quickly as after a long spell of nothingness, suddenly things seem to be coming in a rush.


On Saturday, Mummy picked me up at the Lindsay. She then drove me to North Hatley. Our first stop in town was at the Store where the owner held the door open for me. I congratulated Elliott on the birth of his third son, and generally stood at the front greeting various customers. 


Pappy wasn’t at home when we arrived. I was sitting in my wheelchair when he came in. We hugged and cried on each other’s shoulder.


There was a certain amount of adjusting furniture and carpet removal in the Guestroom and the downstairs toilet. I left the wheelchair in the guestroom and got around the house on crutches. This was a good thing as it stimulated me to use the crutches.

A little before supper, Dominique came by with Maki the dachshund. He wasn’t too sure about me, which was a bit disappointing but vaguely expected.


The next day, we were invited to lunch at Jean-Philippe F.’s house. I was expecting his immediate family and Jean-Paul his father. Instead, there were two of his brothers and their significant others and his sister, her husband and kids. Along with Jean-Philippe’s wife and kids it was a full house and somewhat of a surprise. Christian, the oldest brother is about my age and we go back to primary school. We used to be best friends but about twenty years ago we drifted apart. We chatted a lot, particularly after one point, I found the noise too much and went outside for some quiet where he joined me. I neglected to mention to him that the Lindsay is within sight of the apartment building where he lived while he was studying at La Polytechnique.


Back in North Hatley, I prepped my spinach dish before taking a doze. Philip and company came down for Easter supper of lamb and maple mousse.


On Monday, Mummy drove me back to the Lindsay. A little past Mount Orford, I spotted a wild turkey flying over the autoroute. I don’t think I had seen a wild turkey in flight before. 


It was very good to see the village again is unfortunately the best way I can put it. My words fail me.

No comments: