Tuesday 2 April 2024

On getting the news

I am grateful for the way that Easter fell this year. Otherwise, I might have got the call on April 1st and then been struck by the worry that it was an April Fool’s joke. Instead, I got the call on April 2nd, seven months after being hit.


I had gone down to the gym this morning to meet with the Occupation Therapist. She de-briefed me on the weekend in North Hatley, then we discussed details of my planned experimental stay at home due to start in the afternoon.


I went back up to my room to deal with something minor, when my phone rang with the Montreal General’s phone number. I answered it. The person began by asking where I was, then asked if I could come in for X-rays tomorrow? I said yes, then asked if this meant the date of the operation had been set and if so for when? The answers were yes and Thursday. The joy in my voice alerted my roommate that something was up. After I hung up, I headed towards the nurses station to relay the news. My roommate inquired as to what the good news was and was the first to know. My nurse was next. I then phoned my neighbour Jacques who had been going to help me get into my condo today, followed by The Mole who had been going to spend the night. Mummy was next to know, then Facebook, then this Blog.


I had a physio session at 10, but went down early to her and the Occupational Therapist know the news. I found the gym orderly first and let her know, then later found the OT and the Physio. The latter did a little dance to celebrate!


I had been wondering what my reaction would be to getting the call. It turned out to be joyful relief. (I am so utterly fed up with the external fixations.) It was tempered a bit by second phone call from the General asking where I was. Apparently, they hadn’t got the message that I had moved from the Champlain to the Lindsay.


Stephen later phoned as he and his gang had been due to visit me at home tomorrow, but given the circumstances, the home stay is put off until further notice. A bit disappointing that. Another disappointment is that I will likely be unable to go to North Hatley for the Eclipse.

No comments: