Sunday 24 August 2008

On my return

"Well, I'm back." to quote the last piece of dialog from J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Less than twelve hours ago, I was standing on top of the Tablelands in Gros Morne National Park and now I'm back in Montreal. Much has happened since my last post involving bikes, beer, mooses, boats and more beer, but I think that the telling must wait for another day.

Joey LeBaron met me at the airport and drove my bike and me home. I was saddened to learn from her that Marion, the veteran cashier at the store had died while I was away. She was a character at the store, one you would have trouble putting into a story as your editor would tell you to tone the character down as no one cackles and jokes like that.

Joey asked me an interesting question: "How many days was I biking?" It took me a while but the answer came out as 25, though I will have to review my math and my notes before making a definitive statement. Odometer at the start was 1658.7 km. At the end, it was 3840.0, thus a little under 2200 km. Not bad, not bad at all.

After Norris Point, Montreal seems very big and overly full of people. It is also very muggy, but that should change by tomorrow. The projected highs and lows for the next few days are 21 and 9 respectively. These seem rather low for the season, but I really don't mind as I am something of a low temperature guy.

Work begins tomorrow, ugh!

No comments: