Saturday 23 June 2012

On a "good day for cycling"

Several people said to me that today was a good day for cycling. Presumably, on the grounds it was sunny and not too hot. Unfortunately, the wind today was out of the South and East at various and most inconvenient times. As a result, I made exceedingly and frustratingly slow progress to the point I let out several frustrated "argh"s. I had hoped to get to Eastend in time to get to an exhibit about a T-Rex they found nearby, but made it about 45 minutes after the place closed.

More devastatingly, as I was getting ready to go out for supper, I discovered that my sandals were missing. At this point, I believe I did something dumb regarding them whilst searching in a pannier for food on the road. They probably sitting by the side of road somewhere about 20-30 kms from here. My fragile psyche broke at that point. My psyche being what it is part of why I was upset was that I was upset about something so trivial. I phoned Margo to vent. Tomorrow's forecast is for more of the same.

As accommodations are just a little too scarce or far to the immediate East or South-East of here, my plan is head to Swift Current tomorrow. This is a retreat from my plan but I've nearly exhausted my reserves of energy and ideas. This makes me wimp compared to Victor, the Swiss cyclist I met at tonight's motel. He has come here from Argentina. He was stuck in Pincher Creek by contrary winds for five days! He is spending a month working here in Eastend. Otherwise, I think I would have tried to "latch" on to him. Then again, 99% of the population probably thinks they are wimps compared to me.

On the plus side, I saw a female moose today as I was leaving the East Block of the Cypress Hills Park. Oh, Eastend is so named because it was the "East end" of NWMP patrols out of Fort Walsh.

No comments: