Saturday 17 August 2019

On Google maps and gravel roads

Owing to an unexpected phone call from Alice, I left the Taste of the Past and its’ marvellous bathtub a bit after 9 and rolled down the valley of the Red River. It was sunny and cool. I stopped to inspect hoodoos, before arriving at the Atlas Coal Mine historic site. It offered four tours but none of them suit my schedule or temperament (two involved either confined spaces or going way up the rickety looking tipple). So I opted for the general, wander around by yourself, admission. The mine had been open as recently as 1984, so some of the machinery was still in good condition. One thing I found weird was that they shipped coal by box car, rather than hopper or gondola car.

I retraced my route to near the hoodoos. From there, I started on a route that was designed to get me to Highway 9, without going back to Drumheller by taking secondary highways and lesser roads. Google maps suggested it. However, Google maps didn’t factor in the gravel. The surface was quite loose for much of the way. Like many such roads, there was always another part that looked easier. After realizing that I hadn’t seen another vehicle for awhile, I even used the far side of the road.

The high point was seeing a pair of coyotes cross the road ahead of me. The landscape was gently rolling hills full of grazing cattle. Some bits of the road were range land, so there were Texas gates, a.k.a. cattle grids, across the road. At some point I lost track of whether I was in or out of a stock area. About two thirds of the way to Highway 9, my route went from secondary highways to a “range road”. It proved to have a less gravelly surface on average. However, I was quite relieved to get on Highway 9 and get blown along to Hanna and my motel which had no vehicles in the parking lot. When I came back from supper, there were three vehicles, all with out of province plates.

Tomorrow promises to be easier as I will be almost entirely on Highway 9 and there should be a West wind in my favour. Note to self: avoid dirt roads in Alberta. Loose chips, but I am tired!

No comments: