Thursday 15 August 2019

On more about Calgary

I neglected few of incidents from yesterday. The first was that along the T-Can, I came across a bike helmet beside the road. The condition of the strap suggested that someone had clipped it to their bike on the back of a car and the strap had slipped. There was something eerie about it sitting there, so I brought it along. At the hostel, I decommissioned it by jumping on it, before tossing it. There was little chance it was still safe.

When I was approaching the Hostel, I spotted an odd looking airplane on approach to Calgary Airport. I looked again and confirmed my first impression: it was a bright red DC-3. While I have seen them on flight line, it was first time that I have seen one in the air. It was humbling to see a plane that was quite possibly older than my parents in the air.

The HI Calgary Hostel has gone through some changes since I was last there seven years ago. Breakfast is better than bananas and DIY pancakes that used to be on offer. Unfortunately, there is no longer a gopher colony out back. The area is being redeveloped and doubtless will attract the gentry. This has not prevented the homeless from frequenting the area, partially encouraged by a bunch of bible thumping, Devil-serving evangelicals who hand out food after sermonizing in the evenings.

No comments: