Wednesday 25 October 2023

On getting to the Centre d’Hébergement Champlain

I waited too long for my ambulance on Tuesday. Most of the days was spent fretting. It was only about 3 when the two paramedics showed up with a stretcher. The two older men were pretty much out central casting for blue collar Québécois. The driver, Eugène, was wearing an orange union shirt as a protest of something or other union related. When it came time to deal with my bags, he put on my red klettersack. The other one, who had neatly trimmed white sideburns that went nearly to his mouth,, grumbled a lot about the suspension of the ambulance and mentioned how back when he started in 1977, they had Cadillac ambulances with air coil suspensions. I did notice a ride difference from my previous ambulance ride and said so with intent of mentioning that it may have been partly because I had been under the effects of various pain killers and sedatives. However, he then repeated his rant about the old Cadillac ambulances. It must have been a shift change when we arrived as there were a number staff leaving, including one with a bike helmet in hand. I was tempted to give her a wave and a cheer.



He did say that the Champlain facility was a good rehab place which did much to ease my worried mind. The CIUSS-Sud-Ouest website had given me virtually no useful information about it. The facility, well, the downsides are that my private room only has a poor view of the interior courtyard, there is an annoying outdoor light display in said courtyard, and that French is working language here. I am bilingual, but it can be hard when you don’t know the right words. Other than that, everything is better. The room seems twice the size, though part of that is through better layout. It is in much better shape. The bed is much more comfortable. The food is miles better.  For one thing, it gets to my room hot! The pièce de résistance for my first meal was chicken with a cheese-pesto sauce. The staff are nicer on average than those at the General.


Today has been mostly about settling in. Various departments have poked and prodded me, unwrapped and re-wrapped my leg, and asked and answered a lot of questions. Mummy and Joey came in and put up Anna’s poster and thumbtacked a selection of get well cards to a bulletin board. 


In talking with physio lady, it seems an early priority will be working on getting me in and out of a wheelchair. I have no qualms about this.



No comments: