Monday 9 October 2023

On visitors and Grey’s Anatomy vs the Montreal General Hospital

My sandwich being prepared

Today was quite a sociable day. First Mummy and Stephen arrived with turkey sandwiches and pumpkin pie. Late in the afternoon, James came by with a turkey dinner. Late in his visit, Peter McN. came by to say hello.


I think I am doing better up top. I still don’t know where I am at in the hip and left leg department.


For many years, I watched Grey’s Anatomy on DVD. I stopped when it ceased to be released on DVD. For those of you not in the know, it revolves about the lives of surgeons at a hospital in Seattle. You knew it was Seattle because of the establishing shots and the fact that it rains a fair bit. The series, being filmed in California, indicates the presence of rain by lighting and sound effects which include lightning and thunder. That is unfortunate given that there is rarely lightning in Seattle.


The reason I mention the series is that I realize that it shapes my perception of what a hospital should look like and should have. One of these is the size of the patient rooms. Probably because of the needs of filming, they are bigger on Grey’s Anatomy than in the old Montreal General Hospital. Also, later in the series, I seem to recall the doctors using tablets for their notes and records. Here they are using pieces of paper, some of them a bit random. Others are taking pictures of the results with their smartphones.

No comments: