Saturday 16 March 2024

On crutches, more

I have done well with crutches. I once did 11 laps of the gym without sitting this week. In preparation for Tuesday’s home visit, I climbed the equivalent of 3 stories in an actual stairwell using one railing and one crutch. Not that either of those accomplishments were easy. I was particularly tired after climbing the stairs. Furthermore, I find my legs are full of stiff and aching muscles much of the time. 


Still, it is easier to walk distances with the crutches than with the walker. Admittedly, at times I get a bit confused as to where I am in the sequence with the crutches and pause while I sort out which foot or crutch should be moved next.


It says something about my physical shape and my behaviour around things that I was given permission to keep the crutches in my room over the weekend in order to practice walking. Of course, I was a mite disappointed that none of the staff in the hall really commented about me walking with crutches today.


In other news, I have realized that I have witnessed several waves of fellow patients go through their rehabilitation here. As if to reinforce the point, I changed roommates yesterday. My fourth roommate left to go home to let his stump heal. A few hours later, my fifth roommate was installed. She in turn then went home for the weekend, leaving the room for myself for the weekend.

No comments: