Friday 29 March 2024

On progress and perspective

On Monday, I had the occupational therapist flip down the footrest of my wheelchair to see if my left knee might bend enough to use it. Sure enough it could, so I am now using the footrest rather than the leg rest. Progress.

On Thursday, during the doctors’ rounds, I asked if I might see X-rays of my fractures. They said yes, after we finish the rounds. About an hour later, I was asked to go to the nurses station where they had brought up on a computer screen some of the X-rays they had taken when I first arrived here at the end of November. I found them interesting as well as a bit relieving as the tibia wasn’t quite as badly damaged as I had imagined at certain times. I was a bit shocked when the images made realize that five of the six long bones in my left limbs had been broken. Perspective.




Also progress, as it has taken me this long to ask to see my X-rays. When they were taken, I didn’t want to see them.

Today, I went downtown where I went to my usual barber for a bread trim and hair cut. He was temporarily located a few doors up the street in a tattoo parlour. I have been frequenting his business for over twenty years in which time it has had at least four addresses. I also did some shopping in light of leaving the hospital for at least a few days. North Hatley for Easter and then the home experiment.

No comments: