Saturday 9 March 2024

On a disadvantage of my view

My room has the advantage of good views of the Martin Luther King, Jr Park as well as the Lindsay’s parking lot. Unfortunately, this has proven something of a double edged sword as twice this week my supper has been disturbed by what I have seen.


On Thursday, I saw some youths attempting to steal a Communauto car. I yelled at them to stop, filmed them with my iPhone, called the police and had my roommate alert security. A security guard chased them away. The police came and took my videos and my statement. A few staff members thanked me for my vigilance as there been incidents of theft from and of cars in the parking lot.


Tonight, I saw a car fail to stop in time for a pedestrian crossing the street. The pedestrian went over the hood. He seemed to be okay as he got up and left fairly quickly, possibly after exchanging a few words with driver. The sight caused me to cry out sufficiently loud that an orderly hurried into my room to see what was the matter. I explained, pointing out the car and the pedestrian. I also explained that pedestrian-car collisions are currently something of a trigger for me. I had also feared the worst and was ready to summon rapid medical assistance which he could have initiated. Thankfully it wasn’t needed. The orderly offered a few kind words of comfort.


No comments: