Friday 22 March 2024

On a stationary bike and getting closer to home

Where to start? *Sigh* This is not going to be easy.


Towards the end of today’s physio session, the Physio asked if I wanted to try using the stationary bicycle. I said yes with all but tears of joy. It took a bit of adjusting and fiddling, but I managed to get astride the Cateye Ergocycle 3200. I have no words to describe the feeling of being on something resembling a bicycle again, even it was just a step-through stationary one. Unfortunately, my left knee and ankle aren’t flexible enough for me to fully rotate the pedals, so I just rocked the pedals back and forth in something close to a 270 degree arc, possibly less. I got the Physio to take some pictures.


After lunch, I had a session with the Occupational Therapist to discuss returning home. I am afraid I was remiss in not having thought hard enough about it and not having discussed the timing of it with those who might help. I think I was too fearful of disappointment to hope. The OT said it really could be any time now, at least the trial “weekend” which, it turns out, doesn’t have to be a weekend.


This proved a bit weird as aside from this weekend, the two next weekend have their own peculiar challenges, viz. Easter and the Eclipse. I had been strongly thinking of making my first overnight trip to be going to North Hatley for Easter for a couple of nights and then going out the following Sunday to be in place for the Eclipse on April 8. This makes the weekends too busy to try settling in at home in the condo. The OT suggested that maybe I could do it on the 2nd and 3rd of April, or so. I will have to discuss this with interested parties, but who knows?


While I really want to go home, I am anxious and nervous about it.

No comments: