Wednesday 20 March 2024

On visiting home

I am struggling emotionally these days. My leg feels shackled to a ball. Everything seems extra complicated. Even the weather seems perverse. After a warm spell last week, today has alternated between relatively heavy snow showers and sunshine.


I think I had been keeping my expectations low about the home visit to avoid disappointment. Of course this may have explained why I didn’t feel great joy once I made it up the two long flights of stairs into my hallway. At best, I think I felt a sense of relief. I sat down at my computer desk while the Mole the Holy was shown by the Occupational Therapist and her intern, the best way to manhandle my wheelchair up the stairs and into my condo. 

The OT then put me through my paces, sitting down and getting up from various articles of furniture, including the commode, most from my crutches. She also had me do various tasks in the kitchen and the dining area. There a couple of minor hiccups. First one was getting up from the living room sofa with its new slip cover. It was rather low, so I moved my rump so that I was sitting on the arm of the sofa and therefore high enough to easily use the crutches. There was moment on my was up when one of my crutches slipped a bit, but I managed to keep upright. The second one was the fact that the futon in the media room was too low for me to get out of using crutches. Luckily, the wheelchair fit in, somewhat to my surprise.


On the whole, the OT was satisfied with the condo and me. I was less so.


To be frank, the place was a slovenly mess when I left. James put a heroic effort into tidying the place so the cleaners organized by Alice might be let in by Mummy. I am not happy that it was such a set of Herculean deeds to get it tidy. I also dread having to sort through the boxes that James put the random clutter into, mostly because of the character flaws they demonstrate, but also because of my current physical condition.

No comments: