Sunday 11 May 2008

Memories of Spain, part 6

Near the end of this day, we visited the remains of a Roman town, complete with a triumphal arch......as well as a Roman no entry sign.
What was particularly fun about the arch was that the actual Via de la Plata ran through the arch. In order to avoid a heavily traveled road that Margo found trying, we rode along the Via de la Plata, through positively bucolic fields...
...and some serious mud holes!
We encountered some streams that could not be ridden through. One of them had a series of granite blocks set across it as stepping stones. Rather than make two trips (bike and panniers) I thought that it would be a good idea if I simply shouldered my bike complete with the panniers and walked across the stones. This was not a particularly good idea as the load was quite a bit heavier than I felt comfortable with as I negotiated the stones. However, I was too much of a proud idiot to admit this once I was part of the way across. I made it safely, but in future I will make two trips.
Me (in orange) being a proud idiot. (Then again, I was in Spain, the land that gave the World the word "macho".)

No comments: